Saturday, September 22, 2007

One job, Two jobs, Three jobs, Four

Work. I remember thinking back when I changed sectors that I would have less stress, more time to enjoy things I love & all of those other things. That has definitely not been the case!!

The sector I work in is split into 3 business groups. The business group I work in is split further into 2 operating units. I am the business manager for 1 of those operating units (which covers approximately 12 major programs, composed of multiple contracts in each program). In addition, I consolidate the financials and forecast and all other 'business group' issues. So that is really two jobs, as it will be split up in January when one of the other managers come back full-time (he is currently working on our ERP conversion - SAP - fulltime, so I am covering his responsibilities currently as well). So there are 3 of us managers, 2 working, 1 doing SAP conversion. Well....the other manager that covers the OTHER operating unit up & quite about a month ago. Literally, he gave no notice. He just walked in, handed over his badge & corporate American Express card & walked out. So now...I am doing his job too. So - I am 3 managers now. As if that wasn't bad enough, one of my employees quit about 2 weeks ago in a similar fashion. Just walked out one day. So I am also covering her responsibilities while we get her replacement up to speed. The only consolation? The two that quit were definitely two that needed to go. They were not happy in the environment - didn't really like the work and weren't really performing at all. So it is a bit painful in the interim, but long term, we will be a much stronger team.

So needless to say......I have been a bit overwhelmed!!!! I need a vacation...more on that next!

No comments: