Sunday, March 09, 2008

A Scary Parental Moment

I have lots to catch you up on & was planning to do that sequentially, but today's happenings have preempted those plans!!

Jim & I left the house this morning around 10:00 to go on our 18 mile run. The trail was great - lots of water stops & we did quite well on the run, although I think Jim had a better run than I did....I should have eaten that 3rd gel.

Anyhoo - we got back home around 2:00 and Cosmo greeted us at the door, but Truman didn't - which is not odd, as he sometimes just can't quite wake up enough from his kitty kitty nap to meet us. I immediately went to go check the formal living room couch, which is one of his favorite morning/afternoon napping spots when I saw it.....The front door was AJAR!!!! The door was open a few inches & my heart just sank. I immediately started panicking & Jim immediately went into 'don't freak out honey mode'. We first looked inside the complete house to make sure he wasn't just napping somewhere & Jim then looked all around our house. Truman wasn't anywhere!!

Keep in mind we had just ran 18 miles & I was ravenous...until I realized my baby boy was gone! All thoughts of my wellbeing were completely out the window & all I could think about was finding my fuzzy kitten.

So we started off out the door & walking down the street calling for Truman. We actually started out going the opposite direction we always go if we are leaving the subdivision, running, or anything - but for whatever reason, Jim said 'let's go this way'. We got about 2 doors down calling for Truman when were answered with Truman's distinctive squeaky meow. Apparently he was sunning himself on the neighbor's porch two doors down. He came to greet us while we snuggled & kissed him & told him he had scared us & we took him back home. Thank you GOD for sending us straight to him, and for letting him be ok, and be so close & answer when we called him.

I love our kitties!!

3 comments:

robert terrell said...

i'm very glad y'all found truman. i bet that was scary. we've had a few moments like that with our cats but nothing to the point of either of them being a few houses down the road.

of course, after your found truman i bet the adrenaline rush felt good to your tired bodies.

Jill said...

Seriously! After we found him, hugged him & all that - I remembered how RAVENOUS I was! Jim had made a big bucket of jambalya that we heated up & devoured. What an awesome post-run meal!

L. Steckel said...

Hi Jill, I just read your kitty story. I am happy to hear your kitty was found safe and sound. That is very scary. When I first got Otis, he successfully hid/slept in a closet for about 2 hours and I thought he had gotten outdoors. I searched frantically until we found him snoozing away in the closet. Good luck on your marathon! :)