Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Cheers to the Chef!

I know, I know...you probably thought I was already over the posting thing! It has been over a week since I posted. To be honest, I just haven't felt like being on a computer after work lately! Working really long days doesn't make me want to boot up at home at about 8 pm while I eat supper!

The interesting thing about blogging though....as I go throughout my day, I can't help but think "hmmm...this would make for an interesting post"! Granted, some things I would LOVE to post about, I choose not to! I know anyone can read it!

I have to brag a bit about my husband! He had been wanting to make some gumbo for a long time. Can you believe we have lived in the South for nearly 3 years, and we are yet to make gumbo...let alone roux from scratch? What is even more amazing is that I had never heard of either one until I moved down here! And I digress....
Anyhoo - Jim was in charge of the roux making, which I am told is the most important part of the gumbo, and the trickiest. It took him longer than he thought it would...and he kept asking me to come look at it to see if it had gotten any darker, or if I thought it was thick enough. He was using a Tony C cookbook that contained a picture of what the roux was supposed to look like. Anyone living down here knows that Tony's is to the South (namely, Louisiana!) as salt is to the rest of the US! While Jim was working on the roux, I was very busy chopping up peppers, onions, celery, and getting the shrimp & garlic & crab ready to go in the mix. The conecuh sausage was also a great addition! Can I just say...YUMMY! That is some of the best gumbo I have ever had! And it is like any other soup...the longer it sits in the fridge, the better it gets. Of course, there is a limit to this phenomenon - which is why we are going to be freezing the rest of it. Kudos to the chef!

I got to talk to my friend, N, tonight on my way home from work! We are staying with them when we go back to the Lou for another friend's (K) wedding! We are both getting really excited about going back & seeing everyone, but we are honestly not looking forward to the drive! It is a good 12 hour drive. But Jim & I enjoy each other's company so much, sometime it is nice to actually have 12 solid hours together without other distractions & commitments (housework, work calls, errands, tv, etc) - so it shouldn't be that bad. The drive home on Sunday will definitely be the worst part of the trip! We will be tired from a late night at the wedding reception!

No comments: